Sunday, January 18, 2009

Enjoying what you have.

According to Socrates, the most important thing for anyone to work on is self-development. I agree with this entirely, and find that I can justify many things I do with this guideline. I would be crazy to say that there is a good chance I will become a high profile performer, but I try anyway. I don't necessarily try to find the final outcome. I try because I learn along the way. I will never live my life by means to an end. The end is the end, and I'm not going to wait for that to be happy. I am going to spend my journey to the end with beneficial experiences and risks. I realize that when the end of my journey comes, the only thing I will have to reflect on is what got me there. I encourage everyone to consume this philosophy of Socrates. Develop yourself, don't wait for someone to do it for you. The person we are is only who we allow ourselves to become. Live without restriction.

This brings me to the word of the day: Virtue.

My mentioning of a Greek philosophy was not random. Today I went to a museum in Malibu, The Getty Villa. It was a great learning experience. I was glad to do something like this, because I never thought I would again since the days of middle school field trips are over. I learned a lot about ancient Greece and spent time with some really fun people. As I normally do, I want to share the experience with you. Enjoy these pictures from the Getty Villa.











On a lighter note, I've been thinking about the power of comedy. Ian took me to a comedy show at his club, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Being the person I am, I saw so much more than a show. I saw a venue full of people sharing laughter and comedy. Here is a picture I took at the show.



Now for the symbolism. Our society is composed of so many unique people. We all spend our time finding enjoyment for ourselves. Often times this pursuit creates a divide in our population. This picture symbolizes, that no matter how different we all can be, we can all be equally alike. We may share few things, but we all can laugh. When you find yourself seeing a separation in society, remember how alike we all can be. We don't have to be entirely the same to stand together. Thank you comedy.

I hope everyone builds virtue; finds qualities in themselves they enjoy; and laughs often. We can't all have everything we want, but we can all have happiness. Happiness isn't having everything you want, it is enjoying what you have. I send out my best to everyone tonight.

3 comments:

Antonio Minino said...

I couldn't agree more with the first part of your post, it's all about the journey.

Being in the entertainment industry is tough, and even more in the non-profit sector which is the one I work, dedicate and breathe in.

Just focus on the journey, and great things will happen. Guaranteed.

Anonymous said...

Wise outlook Nick, that'll serve you well on your path. Just keep moving and life will catch up with your dreams.

Cheers,
Clayrn Darrow
M.IV

Kristin said...

"This picture symbolizes, that no matter how different we all can be, we can all be equally alike."

I really like that; your optimistic views always make me smile.